During World War II the 37:mm gun M1 was deployed in coast defense anti-motor torpedo boat batteries (AMTB) alongside 90 mm guns, usually four 90:mm and two 37:mm guns per battery. Some AMTB batteries consisted of four 37:mm guns, but most sources have little information on these batteries. In the later part of the war the 37:mm gun was typically replaced by the 40 mm Bofors gun M1.
- 1 Components
- 2 Ammunition
- 3 Variants
- 4 Comparison of anti-aircraft guns
- 5 See also
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Two gun units were coupled to the M5 gun director using the M1 remote control system. The system was powered by the M5 generating unit. If the remote system was inoperative the M5 sighting system was used.
- The 37:mm M9 autocannon was a derivative of the M1A2 anti-aircraft gun. It had a 74:in (1.9:m) barrel, weighed 405:lb (184:kg) (the barrel alone weighing 120 pounds), had a muzzle velocity of 3,000:ft/s (910:m/s), and had a rate of fire of 150 rounds per minute. It was used on PT boats around 1944 in the Pacific theater during World War II, replacing the M4 autocannon.