Self-propelled anti-aircraft gun
The M15 half-track, officially designated M15 Combination Gun Motor Carriage, was a self-propelled anti-aircraft gun on a half-track chassis used by the United States Army during World War II. It was equipped with one M1 automatic 37:millimeter (1.5:in) gun and two water-cooled .50 caliber (12.7:mm) M2 Browning heavy machine guns. Based on the M3 half-track chassis, it was produced by the White Motor Company and Autocar between July 1942 and February 1944, and served alongside the M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage.
The M15 evolved from the T28 project, an outgrowth of a 37:millimeter (1.5:in) gun mounted on an M2 half-track. Initially designated as the T28E1 Combination Gun Motor Carriage (CGMC), it was accepted into service in 1943 as the M15. While conceived as an anti-aircraft weapon, its 37:mm gun was often used as an infantry support weapon during the later stages of World War II. The M15A1 was an improved variant with air-cooled machine guns mounted below the 37:mm gun. The M15 "Special" was an M15 armed with a single Bofors 40:mm gun.
During World War II, the vehicle served the U.S. Army throughout the Mediterranean, European, and Pacific theaters of operations. In the Korean War, the M15 served alongside the M16 providing infantry support.
- 1 Specifications
- 2 Development
- 3 Service history
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 Sources
- 7 Further reading
The M15 was based on the M3 half-track chassis, adding a coaxially mounted armament of a fully automatic M1 37:mm (1.5:in) gun and two superior-placed .50-caliber (12.7:mm) M2 Browning machine guns. Manned by a crew of seven, it was 20:feet 3:inches (6.17:m) long, 7:feet 4:inches (2.24:m) wide, and 7:feet 10:inches (2.39:m) high, and had a wheelbase of 135.5 inches (3.44:m). The vehicle's armor was up to 12:mm thick, and the vehicle weighed 10 short tons (9.1:t). The suspension was leaf spring... ...read more